For anyone who doesn’t know what Feng Shui is, in short:
Feng Shui is an ancient art and science developed over 3,000 years ago in China. It is a complex body of knowledge that reveals how to balance the energies of any given space to assure the Health and good fortune for people inhabiting it.
I’ve always had an interest in Feng Shui, I think it appeals to the control freak lurking inside me. The idea that I can shape and control what happens to us, by organizing and decorating our home . . . I AM IN!!!
Through all of my research I’ve always come to the same conclusion, whether it works or not . . . feng shui has some great design principals and good tips for keeping order!
Each compass direction has it’s own corresponding area of your life for example, South is Fame, West is Children, North West Mentors and helpful people. The theory is that if you’re having trouble in a certain area of your life make a change in that part of your house!
Here’s our Main Floor Feng Shui Map:
1. Our North West corner is our Living Room, it’s our Mentors and Helpful People sector. The Best color choices for this corner are Grey and Yellow, since we can’t do grey we do a bit of yellow. West is the best wall to hang family portraits . . . hence our grouping of family portraits above the fireplace (on our west wall). West is also the best wall to have a metal element, electronics like a TV are considered a metal element and so it’s also good that our TV goes on that wall!
2. North is the Career Sector of the house. This area is where you hold your career luck. Because ours in at our backdoor it’s hard to decorate it but we are planning on painting the door a yellow or blue color (both would activate some career luck), a picture of a waterfall beside the door would also help!
3. Education sector, ideally this would be where our library should go, but because it’s our dining room there’s not much to do in there except keep it tidy and clutter free!
4. Children sector is on our steps, this is definitely a place where we could use some help. I hung two Bird pictures because in feng shui birds are auspicious, although I should definitely add a picture of children or at least add another bird to symbolize three instead of two!
5.Family and Health sector, blue or green are the best color for that sector. It happens to fall in our kitchen so I’m planning on adding more green accents. Green plants are great in the sector so we have our large pothos ivy plant.
6.The Marriage and Romance sector of our house is in our Library/ Office, not exactly the most romantic area to have it. So I’m slowly adding more red or pink accents because that should activate some more romance ;).
7.”FAME!!! I’m gonna live forever!” The South is the Fame sector, which happens to be at our front door, this area would love some red, but in the absence of red some bright lights would do the trick and our front hall is very bright! And I’m basically super famous so it must be working ;).
8. Lastly we get to our houses trouble spot. Our wealth sector is missing from our main floor. We are lucky though, because we have a front porch that fills it out. So I’ve made sure that our front porch is always tidy and we put some nice patio furniture out there, with some nice new cushions! And since we’ve furnished the deck, we’ve seen a little more money luck coming our way!
But, the number one Feng Shui tip has to be . . . NO CLUTTER! Clear out all clutter, clutter stops energy and air from circulating both are VERY bad Feng Shui!
I hope you liked our little Feng Shui Crash Course. Just the very basics if you enjoyed it let us know and maybe we could make Feng Shui tips a monthly column.