Peter Piper isn’t the only one who can pick a peck of pickled peppers!
This isn’t one of our quick recipes but it is one of our BEST recipes. We make it in huge batches and they never last longer then a week or two in the fridge.
We eat them straight out of the jar, or with a little cheese on a cracker. But our favorite way is topping a burger!
2 red peppers
1 green pepper
2 yellow peppers
2 orange peppers
3 jalapeno peppers
1 very large onion
1/4 cup kosher salt
12 ice cubes
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp celery seeds (optional)
1) thinly slice peppers and onions using a food processor, it’s the fastest and most effective way to slice that many peppers.
3) After 2 hours, rinse in water. Use a salad spinner to dry the peppers off or blot with a clean kitchen towel.
4) in a saucepan combine sugar, vinegar, and mustard seeds. Heat on stove while stirring until the sugar dissolves into the vinegar. Once it comes to a boil, remove it from heat,
5) Fill jars with the sliced peppers and onions.
6) Pour the warm vinegar into the jars over the pepper mixture.
7) Leave the lids off while the filled jars cool on the counter (about 30 min). Screw lids on and store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
I don’t bother canning them as they rarely last an entire month in the fridge, they’re Lee’s favorite so making sure they get eaten before they go bad has never been a problem!
I hope you’ll try them! In the words of Tony the Tiger “They’re . . . . . . .GREAT!”